Thursday, April 2, 2009

Should This HBCU Be Saved? Reflection


Should this HBCU BE SAVED? After hearing the title your mind races, wondering what HBCU. This editorial stimulates the mind from the first sentence. The editorial illustrates the financial issues that have arisen all over the nation at historically black colleges. There is one in particular that rises above all financial problems. Morris Brown a HBCU based in Atlanta, Georgia. This college has been ridiculed lately for it’s rocket high water bill that can not get paid. The article educates the reader on the last minute schemes and fund raising to eliminate the water bill.
This topic really grabs the audience, which in my case are students whoa are currently enrolled in a HBCU. It made me question my current finances at my institution. Where is my pell grant being applied, will the water ever get discontinued on my campus. The writer does a great job of just stating the facts and allowing the reader to make up their own mind about the institution. It’s hard to identify whether the author is pro shutting the university down or con.
This op ed really helps me, a college student put a face on the economic crisis. I mean hay, isn’t this the same school they filmed Drum line on. A very popular movie and now your telling me there broke. It just does not make sense to me. If they can easily reach a financial crisis who’s to say little ole Claflin University in Orangeburg, S.C couldn’t be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment